Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Humility


Humility
The heart of Jesus was to bring glory to the Father in all that He did, never taking credit for Himself. The heart of humility is one that esteems others as greater than itself. It serves others, it submits, and it desires that God be glorified.
This principle is closely tied to that of honesty, because honesty before God and others will keep you humble. The moment you think you're humble, you're not!
The opposite of humility is pride, which has an exalted opinion of itself and is self-seeking. God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble. The pathway of humility is the key to releasing the grace of God in your life.

Insight from the Word:

Proverbs 22:4 "The reward for humility and fear of the LORD is riches and honor and life."
Matthew 11:29 "Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."
Philippians 2:3-4 "Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others."
1 Peter 5:5-6 "Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for 'God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.' Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you."

Making It Personal:

How have I expressed my need to God and to others in the past 24 hours?
Do I gladly receive instruction, correction, or rebuke from others, particularly from those I perceive to be "less spiritual" than I am?
Is there anyone that I do not esteem as better than myself, or that I am unwilling to serve?


© Life Action Ministries: Revival Review--Keys to Continued Revival

No comments: